Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


September 23, 2009

The Power of Prayer and a Good Confession

This week has been a hectic one - so I am sorry that I have been MIA this week!! I was reading through Agatha's post on sorrows, and it resonated with me especially the part about confession. Well, let me also back up. Today is the feast day of St. Padre Pio, who was one of the most prominent confessors of the twentieth century. So, I thought it might be a good day to reflect a bit on confession in his honor, and in thanksgiving what the Lord accomplished and continues to accomplish through this most powerful saint. So, I too, was able to go to (a much needed!) confession this past weekend. I was running late and rushing, and almost did not go because I thought I'd never make it, but something in me (Guardian Angel, perhaps?) kept urging me to GO! So, I did and I just made it. And golly, did that priest tell me just what I needed to hear.

I am just so grateful for our priests! This priest is a young -- and by young, I mean both in age and in his priesthood -- but God truly gives His wisdom to His little ones. And this priest is so humble and loving - and he just reminded me of the essence of it all - God's love. I left that confession with a feeling of freedom -- true freedom, that I suppose we should always feel whenever we leave confession. I literally could feel the joy of the Holy Spirit returning to my soul in a time when Peter and I have been going through many trials in our preparation toward marriage. And if that was not enough -- God is so good! -- last night I went to a charismatic prayer group with Peter at our parish. Now, I have usually been one to be somewhat skeptical of the Charismatic renewal, but slowly, the Holy Spirit is opening my eyes to understand His power. Yesterday, we prayed for the baptism of the Holy Spirit, which renews and rejuvenates what we received in the sacraments of initiation. When the others prayed over me, they gave me the reassurance of God's joy and mirth in my life -- and through me to the lives of others. So here's to the joy of the Lord!! And thank you, Lord, for your bountiful goodness!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails