Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


August 23, 2010

What a Ride




Thanks for your prayers, sisters and readers, as I drove across the country from Washington, D.C. to Denver, Colorado, and for my safe flight home. I am back at my desk safe and sound and invigorated by my cross-country adventure.

My friend, who I was helping to move to Denver, is one of the holiest, most beautiful women that I know. We talked for 12 hours straight on the first leg of the drive, and only put on music (which we naturally discussed, too!) to keep us awake before our one and only overnight (I know, I know...we drove 31 hours in two days). It is such a blessing to be able to share that much conversation -- ranging from silliness to holiness -- with another person. It should be obvious to our readers that when the Magdalene Sisters are all at the same table, this same thing transpires.

What I learned on the drive is that Iowa is deceptively long and Nebraska is incredibly flat. In all seriousness, seeing the expanses of God's creation and the varied landscapes and people made me appreciate His handiwork so much. I can't believe how many things glorify Him in their diversity and richness. I had this feeling on Friday, too, when we hiked to the summit of a 12,000 ft. peak in the Rockies. As we ate lunch overlooking the enormous horizon, three of us ladies had an amazing conversation about atheism, specifically how sad it must be to look at the scene we saw and think that there was no meaning to it besides tectonic plates shifting around under the earth's surface. It was just so clear that we have a Creator, and what more, that He loves what He creates. I mean, just look at that cute little duck!


I just loved everything about Colorado: the weather, the landscape, the people, and the very active Catholic population. Also, it's the #1 gluten-free-friendly city in the nation...between these things and the sign above that I saw on a walk, I think it may be my next destination! All in God's time though, and only if He wills. What He wills right now is that I head back to the classroom tomorrow in preparation for the upcoming school year. Amen!


2 comments:

Angela Miceli said...

Sounds so awesome, Julian! I cannot wait to see what is next for you! Enjoy school!!

Kellbell said...

Hi Julian. I've been reading your blog for about a year now and I love it! I was excited to see your glowing praise of Denver because I live here and I love it too! You should definitely move here...if the Lord so wills.

Kelly

Related Posts with Thumbnails