Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


August 5, 2010

Finding Meaning in the Mundane

My summer jobs are coming to an end this week as I prepare to take some time to get my curriculum together before the new school year begins. One job was was fun and lighthearted, but the other has been a drag! Don't get me wrong; I'm so very grateful for the supplement to my income during the summer months. I'm keenly aware of that blessing. But...it's clerical work...and it's boring.

However, I was reading a little bit yesterday from Scripture and came across this gentle reminder from Our Lord:

Whatever you do, do from the heart, as for the Lord and not for others, knowing that you will receive from the Lord the due payment of the inheritance; be slaves of the Lord Christ. Colossians 3:23-24



The single life affords many instances to question the meaning of work -- is this a holding pattern? Should I be doing something else? What do my decisions and work say about my life? But as for any vocation, no matter what we do, whether it's changing diapers, working on Wall Street, or spending our day in prayer and community chores with the Lord as a religious sister, we do it all out of love for Jesus Christ. And that can make even the most mundane data entry a gift back to God.

Carry on in your work, no matter what it is!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails