Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


August 13, 2010

Road Trip Soundtrack

Next week I'll be driving west to Denver to help a friend move. I've already learned how to drive a stick shift car, so now I'm moving onto the less practical, but more fun, task of creating several soundtracks for various parts of our journey. I've divided the music into three categories: 1) "Fist pump" music/first leg; 2) "Mellow/the middle of the country is very flat"; and 3) "We're sleepy and need some R&B hits."

The first category is very easy for me. I have 7 hours worth of songs right now, ranging from CCR to Springsteen to The Killers to Regina Spektor. Safe to say, the first leg of our journey is going to be incredibly fun.

The second category is a little more difficult for me. I have some Rosie Thomas, Ingrid Michaelson, Nickel Creek, and some music from a dear colleague (which, by the way, you should all check out!), but I could use suggestions. Agatha has worn me down enough to accept bluegrass suggestions. Really Agatha, this is a triumph.

The third leg is proving to be even more difficult! Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy the beats of hip hop and R&B. But I also want songs with decent lyrics. Beyonce is proving to be about 75% helpful, but I'm still seriously lacking in selection. I think this is a serious problem though, since this genre of music is so influential on culture. Look, I know this isn't a new hypothesis or anything, but I really do think we could use some of these amazing beats paired with better lyrics. It's time, people. Anyway, suggestions are welcome.


4 comments:

Margaret E. Perry said...

madeline peroux. i think you'll like her. though, not for the last leg of the trip.

Anonymous said...

i would recommend Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu (although this music is quite slow), also Lucy Pearl for a good uplifting beat and lyrics!

Edith Magdalene said...

Not sure about R&B, but I could look...but for that second leg, I'd recommend Sia, Imogen Heap, Ray LaMontagne, Frou Frou, Amos Lee....Hmmmm....I'll have to think a bit more!

Unknown said...

Add some jazz into the mix and you'll have the perfect road trip soundtrack for your car. Maybe you can add Ska-jazz. It's quite relaxing and a bit upbeat as well, so you won't get sleepy while you're driving.

-Cassie Brendan

Related Posts with Thumbnails