Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


March 19, 2010

Happy Feast of St. Joseph!

St. Joseph with the Christ Child by Michael D. O'brien


The readings last night from Vespers really struck me, as I struggle with the competing demands of work that I love but struggle with, hobbies that I cherish but take time and sometimes feel like work, the chance to lovingly support my friends and family, and, of course, rest. I wanted to share it with you:

Whatever your work is, put your heart into it as if it were for the Lord and not for men, knowing that the Lord will repay you by making you his heirs. It is Christ the Lord that you are serving.

--Colossians 3:23-24

In the Saint Joseph Novena we've been praying, we're asked to meditate on the Christ Child asleep in St. Joseph's arms. I recently had the chance to hold a friends baby, as she gently fell asleep. I sat there for hours, with her asleep in my arms, and was never tired or anxious to move. I feel like that was the last time I really rested. But, St. Joseph, with the help of this Novena, and Michael O'Brien's painting above, I feel I might be able to regain some of that peace, and finally rest.

How were your experiences with this Novena? Isn't St. Joseph just the best, ever?!

1 comment:

Edith Magdalene said...

A quote I needed to read and a gorgeous icon. I admit, I kind of slacked on my novena, but I think I'll keep up the prayers despite my imperfections :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails