Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


March 8, 2010

Cutting Out the Drama

Whenever my students begin to complain about a teacher or a peer and there is a serious hint of embellishment, I say to them, "In the Words of Mary J. Blige, 'No more drama.'" They laugh (most of them ask for the reference to the song which makes me feel old), and then continue on with their story as if it's the most important breaking news. Ah, females.

I can't help but notice at my place of work, an all-girls' school with a majority-female faculty, that there is an unnecessary amount of drama in our daily activities. One misunderstood facial expression and the whole school thinks something is up or so and so really meant something she did or didn't say.

Of course, I am not immune to getting sucked into the trend of making small things seem like great things. But I am getting better at recognizing my desire to do so and stopping myself from participating when others do, which is a good sign. I've been thinking though, that this tendency in women to be dramatic is just slightly off the mark of staying virtuous. Women are given the gift of attention to detail and sensitivity. It can be used for so much good...if only paired with discipline, right attitude, and good intention.

I pledge, with the help of St. Mary Magdalene, to cut out the drama from my life!


1 comment:

Jennie said...

Haha! So true, we women do love drama. At my former school there was a no gossip rule, which seemed to work well for the most part. However, admittedly, I did break that rule from time to time.

You sound like such a fun teacher. I bet your students love you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails