Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


January 1, 2010

I Am Resolved....

It's New Year's Eve as I write this, and I've been so busy this past year that I've hardly had time to even consider my resolutions. In fact, I almost never make resolutions. I think in years past, my resolution was not to make any resolutions. I typically make my resolutions around religious feasts and holidays. But this year, I do have some - although a couple are bit cliche.

1. Lose weight and get healthy. Yes, cliche, but I am now at a point in my life and in my health where this is critical resolution. And living a healthy lifestyle is so important to me as I enter in my marriage.

2. Have a more structured prayer life. This has been important to me for sometime, as I feel the call in my heart to pray the rosary at least weekly - rather than sporadically as I've done this past year. My prayer life this year - especially in these last few months I feel has gone to something like this: "Dear God, please help me with....... Thanks. Your friend, Edith." And even though this is not bad, I can do better.

3.Get very close to finishing (if not indeed finish) my PhD - meaning write my dissertation! Very important to me - I want to be done with school!!

4.Be better about my correspondence. Life is busy. Period, end of story. But a phone call or a line every now and then can make someone's month.

5. Cook more often and get better at it. Currently, Peter takes the reins there. And it drives me crazy :-) Plus I just watched watched Julie and Julia and it totally made me want to master the art of French cooking!!

6. Read every Jane Austen novel and her letters and good biography of her. I have never gotten more than half way through Emma - I am so frustrated at myself for that. I am currently half way through Mansfield, and it's taken me that long to get invested. I have Northanger, Emma (obviously), Persuasion and Lady Susan to finish up. Can't wait! So far I've resolved on this biography too. Austen aficionados - any suggestions on that?

7. Learn more Arabic!!! My in-laws (well, VERY near future ones!) just bought me Rosetta Stone!! Yay!

I'd say that's pretty darn good for a girl who usually resolves not to make resolutions! Looks like 2010 will be a wonderful and busy year.

Happy New Year!! May the New Year bring joy, peace, and love to all of you!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Hooray for Jane Austen! I would highly recommend the biography Jane Austen: A Life by Claire Tomalin. To be fair, it's the only biography of Austen I've read...but it is one of the newer ones, so its scholarship is up-to-date, and it's also a quick and entertaining read.

Related Posts with Thumbnails