Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


May 10, 2009

In the Desert

How many of us have ever felt that our spiritual lives are simply in the desert? We can rejoice, because Our Lord has been there before. And EVERY SINGLE saint has been through it, and the purpose of all of our lives is to become saints. I know that I've been in a period of spiritual dryness, and I've found the best remedy - just praising God for His goodness. Sometimes, we can be so wrapped up in asking God to give us all we want that we don't have, but we sometimes we forget to just praise and thank God for what He does in fact do for us.

I've never been a huge fan of Christian pop music, though I'm not really sure why. I think because some of it can just be so cheesy and kitschy. I guess I'm the kind of girl who prefers a Latin hymn or a beautiful Bach piece when it comes to liturgical music. However, I've recently discovered the Christian music of Brooke Fraser Ligertwood. I know I've mentioned her before, but I wanted to share another song with you that has brought me some joy in my desert time. The song, aptly titled, is called 'Desert Song.' I love the lyrics, most especially the very last verse. Hope it brings you some peace!




Desert Song by Brooke (Fraser) Ligertwood

This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame

I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

This is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on its way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand

All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've received I will sow

1 comment:

Julian said...

Oh boy, back in the day I was really turned off my Christian music. However, in college I attended a praise and worship adoration every Tuesday night, since it was the only adoration available. But it changed my life! I found it less intimidating to speak to Christ from the heart when so many others had written the prayers that were already on my lips, and the chance to kneel before Him and sing was just so moving. I don't care for this music in the liturgy, but I DO love it in its own special way and in a very particular place with adoration, or just in the car or on a walk. It's really helpful in times of spiritual drought.

P.S. Love this singer!

Related Posts with Thumbnails