Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


October 8, 2009

Jim and Pam: Flaws and All




Me: Hello, my name is Julian, and I love The Office.


All: Hello, Julian.


Like most other ladies my age, I have a crush on the character Jim Halpert of The Office. In his own words in tonight's epic episode, he confesses that he "waited for his wife." He embodies all that we want in a man: gentle pursual, patience in waiting for her to come around to love him on her own, and ultimately taking a risk in forever changing his relationship with his best friend by confessing his feelings. What young woman does not wish for this kind of knight in shining armor (or tie and suit)? Very few, I'm guessing.


But what I love most about the relationship between Jim and Pam is that we have been privy to their strengths and weaknesses as individuals and as a couple. We, the viewers, have seen them slip up, choose to ignore harsh realities, deny their own feelings, unintentionally offend one another and take uncalculated, sometimes imprudent risks. But the two have offered us something that most television and movie couples have not: love that is real, love that is enduring, love that doesn't happen overnight. They are truly partners not only in the office but in life, and it's been such a blessing to have at least one example in pop culture that teaches us that something so beautiful is worth working at and waiting for.

5 comments:

tk said...

i cannot agree with you more.

i hope you are well and in good spirits, good friend.

His peace and promise,
tk

Jennie said...

I, too, am an Office lover. Great post, you really hit the nail on the head. I'm excited for tonight's episode, I hope it's a good one.

Angela Miceli said...

Me too! Let's hope Michael Scott doesn't do anything like at Phyllis' wedding!

Jennie said...

Hi Julian! What did think of last night's episode? I thought it was cute as far as Jim and Pam were concerned, but it wasn't terribly funny. And what's the deal with Stanley cheating on his wife, how is that funny? Weird. I'd love to hear what you thought of it.:)

Jennie said...

Hi again, Julian! I loved that last part of the episode when Jim says something to the effect of, "the boat was plan C, the church was actually plan B. Plan A was marrying her a long time ago, the day I met her." Oh my gosh, I just melted, that was probably the best thing he's ever said on the show. Can't wait to see what happens this week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails