Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


April 29, 2009

Making Lemonade from Lemons


"When life hands you lemons...." Or so the old adage begins. Well, it should come as no surprise to our readers that I do not approve of the Obama presidency, and I pretty much loath all of the administration's policies. Sometimes, it's hard for me not to overreact with anger against him personally. However, Obama is only a man, a human person (which may come as a surprise to many). And as a Catholic Christian, I do vow to treat each person with the dignity they have as a creature made Imago Dei.
Lately, I've been trying really hard to find the good in the president. Well, I've not found much, but I have been heartened by this news. Notre Dame students, in response to Obama's coming to campus, have organized a rosary to pray for his change of heart. And I join them. I don't wish evil on him; as a Christian I must hope to rejoice with him in eternity. It doesn't mean that I'm complacent in his horrific beliefs or that I support the 'changes' he wants to make in our country. It doesn't mean that I keep quiet. I must pray for his conversion.

On another note, cnn.com posted this story today about Michelle Obama and her 'icon' status for the women of the world. The story basically discusses that Mrs. Obama really does give women hope, especially women of color in nations such as India, Vietnam, and in many nations of Africa. One quote I found interesting about women in India:
Heather Ferreira works in the slums of Mumbai, India, where she has watched thousands of women live under a "curse."

The women she meets in the squalid streets where "Slumdog Millionaire" was filmed are often treated with contempt, she says. They're considered ugly if their skin and hair are too dark. They are deemed "cursed" if they only have daughters. Many would-be mothers even abort their children if they learn they're female.

Yet lately she says Indian women are getting another message from the emergence of another woman thousands of miles away. This woman has dark skin and hair. She walks next to her husband in public, not behind. And she has two daughters. But no one calls her cursed. They call her Michelle Obama, the first lady.
I say if the wife of the most pro-abortion president in our history can inspire women not to abort their children, then we might just be on our way to having a little bit of lemonade. And that's something sweet that I can find joy in.

2 comments:

Agatha Magdalene said...

amen

Anonymous said...

It's so true about the dark and light skin tone prejudice...and so incredibly unfortunate. How sad God must be that we don't appreciate his creation!

I think I'm with you on the prayers for our president and his family. I think Jesus asks it of all of us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails