Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


April 4, 2009

A Letter to the President

I'm not sure if anyone has come across this, but it is WELL worth the read.  Reverend Hugh W. Cleary, Superior General of the Holy Cross Fathers (the order that runs Notre Dame) wrote President Obama a rather lengthy, open letter regarding his honorary degree and invitation to speak at ND's commencement in May.  He sincerely congratulates him and challenges him at the same time.  I really respect what he has to say, and I will be going back to this letter to explore my involvement in the American democracy as a Catholic.  

I think his letter is not only written to Obama, but to American Catholics as well.  His words encourage real dialogue and an opening of our hearts, while maintaining steadfast faithfulness to the tenets of our faith.  Father Clearly cites Obama's own words which makes a very powerful case for the protection of life in social justice issues: abortion, immigration, welfare, the death penalty et. al.  He also tackles other major American issues like the media, voting, freedom, etc. I hope it brings you clarification on Christianity in the public square and inspires you to pray about how to be a faithful, American Catholic! I would LOVE to continue a conversation about what he says here... 


2 comments:

Edith Magdalene said...

Hi Julian -- is there a link you can direct us to for the letter?

Edith Magdalene said...

Oops! I see it! Nevermind!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails