Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


February 18, 2009

Thoughts for the Godmother


I was at the baptism where Julian became a Godmother, and I have to admit, I was praying more for her than for little E.

A few years ago I attended another baptism, and afterward the baby, Peter fell asleep in my arms. His mother took him from me after he woke up (he was so small it didn't bother me at all and I held him for over an hour), and she looked at me with wide eyes and said: "Isn't that exciting? A saint fell asleep in your arms! I am always amazed by that!"

The gospel reading at the baptism, which was administered by a jolly deacon in the local parish, was (fittingly) from Mark's Gospel:
And people were bringing children to him that he might touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it." Then he embraced them and blessed them, placing his hands on them. (Mark 10:13-16)


Julian's goddaughter is a living saint now, too--beautiful, sinless, and full of grace. May her innocence witness to us, and teach us to be like a child in the lap of our Heavenly Father.

In the rite of baptism we pray for the Godparents:
--Make the lives of his (her) parents and godparents examples of faith to inspire this child. Lord hear us.
--Keep his (her) family always in your love. Lord hear us.
--Renew the grace of our baptism in each one of us. Lord hear us.
Renew that grace in us, Lord! Renew it in her parents and god-parents most of all!

(Painting: Suffer the Little Children to Come Unto Meby Lucas Cranach the Elder)

1 comment:

Julian said...

Thank you for your prayers and your thoughts on this. I LOVE the painting. And I love the gospel passages about becoming like a child. I try to remember that I am a daughter of God as are all of my friends and family (well, the men are sons!)

Love you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails