Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


January 10, 2009

A Testimony...

I wanted to post a little snippet of a beautiful testimony a woman posted on Zenit (a Vatican News Agency) today. The post was in response to an article on prenatal testing, which is something that all of us women will come to face as we begin our families, if we are so called to married life. Here's a little snippet. Read the whole post here.

A little over eight years ago, my niece heard these words from a woman, "I will not bring this child into the world." The woman was not an expectant mother, she was my niece's OB/GYN. . . . Three months later, my niece gave birth to her second child. He was taken that week into surgery where they implanted a VP shunt to drain the excess spinal fluid to allow room for his brain. They were told their son probably would not see, hear, talk or walk.

Today, this young boy attends second grade, is preparing to make his first communion, sees and comments on the beauty that surrounds him, asks his grandma to play the piano for him, is surprisingly articulate and is able to walk. While he has occasional seizures, he is a thriving little person deserving of care. Ultimately, he is a child of God, deserving of the special place in this world that God intended for him.
We are all children of God. We all deserve a chance at life, because we trust in God's word through the Prophet Jeremiah: "For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." (Jer. 29:11) Our God is truly an awesome, loving God. As women, we participate in that love in such a unique, amazing, and privileged way. I am so grateful for my femininity, I am so grateful to God for His love and the ability to respond to it. Let us continue to pray for the world, that all will know the depth of the love the Lord has for us.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails