Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


January 14, 2011

JPII We Love You!




The news went out this morning: Pope John Paul II will be beatified on Divine Mercy Sunday, May 1, 2011, in Rome. This is SO AWESOME. And such a fitting day: he was a huge promoter of devotion to the Divine Mercy, and was the one who moved the feast to the Sunday following Easter. Additionally, it is the feast of St. Joseph the Worker, and the first Sunday in the month of Mary, to whom he dedicated his entire papacy.

In the Decree, the Vatican especially singles out his attention to the youth and lay people of the Church. I was lucky enough to see him in 2000 at World Youth Day in Rome, and it was the begining of a real awakening to my faith--and an awfully fun time! And his death marked the completion of that circle, a very difficult time in my life, but very rich spiritually, and also, ultimately, a lot of fun.
I have to be honest with you: I still tear up every time I read his final words, which, reportedly, he spoke to us--the youth.


I sought you out and now you come to me. Thank you.
Servant of God, John Paul II, pray for us!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails