Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


January 6, 2011

Dear John

I have been loving the readings at Mass this week, especially the first readings from 1 John.

This favorite token from yesterday:
"There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear."

I have heard this so many times, I can't tell you. But yesterday, I just prayed and prayed about what fears are driving me on a daily basis. It is so clear to me that these fears, even if they are little, demonstrate that I don't trust God perfectly, so I don't love God perfectly. So much to work on...

And today:
"If anyone says, 'I love God,' but hates his brother, he is a liar; for whoever does not love a brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen."

I can think of a few people who make it very difficult for me to love them, but I also know that discipleship is not easy. I also know that if I love God, I must love them.

And lastly:
"And the victory that conquers the world is our faith." Just perfect.

Dear John,
I love you.
Julian

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails