Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


July 19, 2010

Recommended Read or Re-Read


Yesterday I had the pleasure of discussing C.S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces at my monthly book club, and it was perhaps the most inspiring conversation that I've had in a long time. I cannot recommend enough how important this book is for the feminine heart as well as the Christian heart.

The first time I read the book, I was frustrated and confused by the plot and the point, but my second read was an incredible experience, and I was able to mine the book for these great and small treasures that apply to my life and my journey to God. I have learned anew about the nature of love -- the ugliness of love which is possessive, the purity of obedience, the prudence in waiting to speak about one's love for another if it will not help that person, the nature of charity, the feminine tendency to veil and mask her real self, and so much more. I was listening to Peter Kreeft's lecture on the book, and he says that even in his sixth reading of the book (!) he was still uncovering deeper meaning in the tale.

I cannot recommend this enough. Stop what you're doing now and go get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love C.S. Lewis but I've never read this one before...thanks for the recommendation! I'll add it to my "wish list" : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails