Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


July 8, 2010

Brief Book Review: Bees

I just finished reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I realize I'm several years behind the book craze and a few years behind the release of the movie, but I tend to stick with classic literature unless something in the bookstore really draws my attention. My students read it during one of their earlier high school years for summer reading, so I thought I'd check out "what the kids are into." It was 50 cents at a booksale, too. Okay, I'm done.

The book was entertaining enough, and certainly easy to read on the train, where I tackled the first half, and on the beach, where I rounded it out this week. However, I have mixed feelings about what the author did with the Blessed Virgin, who plays a significant role in the narrative. She does make it clear that the characters were raised Catholic but definitely practice their own brand of religion. However, Our Lady becomes a Christ-like figure at one point in the novel, making me mroe than a little uncomfortable. Again, the author makes it clear that this is NOT a Catholic practice, but I couldn't help but wonder if Protestants or non-Catholics who were reading the book had their stereotypes of us confirmed or exaggerated.

Has anyone else read it and had similar fears?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails