Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


December 14, 2009

Simply Jesus.

Sisters and readers, 'Tis the season for hustle and bustle. It seems that December follows its own time continuum and that the earth rotates more quickly than any other month. Responsibilities at school seem to pile up in preparation for vacation. Advertisements on the subway remind me of how many shopping days that I have left. My head and heart are heavy these weeks, as I feel burdened with checklists, feelings of guilt about resolutions that I did not keep in 2009, and preparation for resolutions that I intend to keep in 2010.

Today I received a Christmas card in the mail from my grandmother. On the front was a tiny graphic of a manager with an even tinier graphic of a baby. Underneath was the phrase, "Simply Jesus."

As I was reflecting on Agatha's post on St. John of the Cross, I couldn't help but relate his mystical theology to this Christmas card. Though St. John's mystical theology speaks of the ascent of the soul up Mount Carmel and into the Dark Night, the soul's destination is the Triune God - most infinite, most mysterious, yet in everything so one, so perfect, and so simple. A dear friend of mine has reminded me time and time again about the simplicity of our Lord, and how we must return to this truth when we are heavily burdened and weary.

How gently and lovingly
you wake in my heart,
where in secret you dwell alone;
and in your sweet breathing,
filled with good and glory,
how tenderly you swell my heart
with love.

-- St. John of the Cross, The Living Flame of Love
Related Posts with Thumbnails