Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


June 29, 2009

Peter and Paul and the Single Life

When I started this blog, and apporached Edith and Julian about contributing, I wanted to do something different from the other "single Christian girl" books and blogs out there--which focused on chastity as the only vritue of the single life. Chastity is important--its a foundation, and for some of us it is the hardest virtue to live with, but focusing in it alone seemed to miss the point. The real question os the single life is not "How long can I wait--do I have to wait--before I have sex?" but "How do I live well NOW?"

Today's readings, for the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul really struck me. In the 2nd reading, Paul's 2nd letter to Timothy, he says:
I, Paul, am already being poured out like a libation,
and the time of my departure is at hand.
I have competed well; I have finished the race;
I have kept the faith.
...
The Lord stood by me and gave me strength,
so that through me the proclamation might be completed
and all the Gentiles might hear it.
And I was rescued from the lion's mouth.
The Lord will rescue me from every evil threat
and will bring me safe to his heavenly Kingdom.
To him be glory forever and ever. Amen.


The real struggle of the single life is to determine God's will for youself, and to give of yourself in a just and gracious way. Then someday we might be able to turn to our friends and say that we have also been poured out like a libation, and kept the faith, but the Grace of God.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails