Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


August 26, 2009

A Token from Tolkein


I'm sad to say that it's taken me 25 years to read Lord of the Rings, but it's true. However, I am about 75% through the first book, and I'm seriously loving it. I know there is essay after essay on the Catholic elements of Tolkein's book, but I wanted to share a few of my favorite moments and passages so far. For a single girl like me who is is 1) waiting on the Lord and 2) contemplating what God is calling her to, these two passages have really struck a chord:

Not all that is gold glitters/Not all who wander are lost.
How many times have I written about feeling homeless? Truly though, even if I am wandering, I am still on a path that has an end in sight, and a God as that end, no less.
"I will take the ring," he said, "though I do not know the way." Elrond raised his eyes and looked at him, and Frodo felt his heart pierced by the sudden keenness of the glance. "If I understand aright all that I have heard," he said, "I think that this task is appointed for you, Frodo; and that if you do not find a way, no one will...But it is a heavy burden. So heavy that none could lay it on another. I do not lay it on you. But if you take it freely, I will say that your choice is right."

And how many times do I feel that I would choose something for myself other than God's will for my singleness right now? I need to choose it freely with God and for God because it has been ordained for me.

Lessons on the single life from a little hobbit...who knew!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails