Three 20-something women trying to figure out what it means to be lay, Catholic, and modern all at once.


October 5, 2010

I'm Not Looking for Average

Earlier this week I had a post written on "dating outside of the Catholic bubble." I was reflecting on the great parts of finding stimulating conversation that revolved around non-religious part of life, getting a fresh perspective on things, and being pursued by a man who just knew what to do in the initial stages of dating. I was also going to comment on the challenges of things like asking to say grace at dinner, talking about certain aspects of my job as a theology teacher, and wondering about other expectations that don't always need to be specified when dating a Catholic (or Christian).

However, I don't feel the need to go into detail about those things in light of my most recent dates. I have an inkling that with the right person, even if he is not a practicing Catholic or even a religious person, that certain things would work themselves out. As someone becomes more invested in another person, what is important to their significant other becomes interesting (even if not totally applicable to them).

However, I don't know if I can make it work with the average guy. I don't know if I'm convinced that the average guy of today's world will find some of the things that are integral to me to be something that would be integral to him. The average guy probably wouldn't think it's weird to have a calendar of provocative pictures up in his office. The average guy probably wouldn't see anything wrong with sleeping in the same bed a month into dating. The average guy wouldn't think it was off-putting to tell you he got your number when he was seeing someone else.

I guess, though, I'm not looking for average after all.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails